For most of us, the summer is jam packed with longer work hours, fab social events, and fun family functions. It is a season that is cherished because the days are long and the weather is pleasant. With all that is going on, it is imperative that we take care of ourselves so that we can feel our best while juggling our obligations and activities.
Here are some self care ideas
to help you beat the heat
and keep your cool!
- Catch up on sleep – Those long, hot, weekend afternoons basically insist that you catch up on your Zzzs. Make it a priority to get quality sleep so that you can be your most alert and friendly self. For tips on how to get a better night’s sleep, visit : http://www.aliciazitka.com/10-things-you-should-do-before-bed/
- Eat healthier – Farmers markets and gardens are popping this time of year! Therefore, the summer is the perfect time to nourish your body with fresh fruit and vegetables. One of my favorite parts of the summer is planting my garden and watching it grow! It is so satisfying to eat something right from your own soil and it is great for your body and wellbeing.
- Take a dip – There is no doubt that immersing your body in water is totally relaxing. Try cannon balling in to a pool or crashing in to a wave to refresh your body and mind. Bonus! Swimming is a great cardio exercise!
- Hike or outdoor exercise – Getting outside and breathing fresh air is a special type of medicine. Take your favorite exercise outdoors and bring your phone along for safety reasons and to snap pics of nature’s beauty. My favorite outdoor exercises include walking, running, and yoga. Always wear sunscreen so you can safely get some vitamin D.
- Visit friends or family – Taking the time to visit with friends and family members is good for the soul. You can reminisce, vent, and share some belly laughs. Hint! Remember, to put your phones and devices away and give the people who matter most to you your full attention.
- Get a Pedicure – You’ll probably be showing more skin as the temps rise and that includes your tootsies. Treat yourself to a pedicure to relax and to get your toes sandal ready. Choose a fun color to lift your spirits!
- Read – I am a believer in constant self-improvement. I love to read books that make me feel more inspired, motivated, and empowered! One of my favorite summer activities is to sit outside with a good read and a notebook. I find that jotting down quotes while reading helps me to retain the info and gives me something to look at later if I need a bit of kick in the butt to be more productive. Keep improving, keep reaching and keep believing (not just in the summer, but 365)!
- Stay hydrated – When you’re dehydrated, your bod feels sluggish and your mind seems groggy. Dehydration can also make you feel famished when you’re not, so you end up eating more food than you would normally. It is essential that you drink enough water, especially in the summer when everyone sweats more due to the heat. Stay hydrated and stay happy, folks.
- Witness the Sun rise – It is a wonderful feeling to watch the beginning of a beautiful new day! Watching the sun rise over the horizon, puts life in to perspective. I mean, think about this: How lucky are we to live together on this tiny spinning rock, in the vast and incredible universe? Life is pretty miraculous.